Not everyone knows that Phytoplankton (also known as microalgae, such as Diatoms and Coccolithophores) contribute between 50 to 85 percent of the oxygen in Earth’s atmosphere, play a part in the regulation of atmospheric carbon dioxide and form an essential component of the marine food chain. Plankton in general have often artistic shapes that lead us to reflect upon spiritual matters and wonders of Nature. In particular Diatoms and Radiolarians emanate hypnotic beauty, magic, mathematics, mystery, fun and solemnity at the same time: owning Diatom Shop's professional microscope slides that contain Diatoms or Radiolarians is like owning a piece of all these features, a piece of the art of who carefully prepared these handmade products, a piece of antique and modern, a piece of the small and big powerful Microcosm. Diatom Lab is like a 19th century scientific laboratory company that operates in the 21st century. Diatom Shop makes microscopy more exciting, fascinating and unforgettable!
Welcome to Diatom Shop!
Diatom Shop is the online shop of Diatom Lab, the scientific laboratory company registered and based in Italy with the Italian VAT number IT 01635810193 (Partita IVA 01635810193), with the registered name "Diatom Lab di Stefano Barone", placed under the classification "Research and Development in the field of other Natural Sciences and Engineering"
The company is specialized in:
Microslides and Arrangements with Diatoms, Radiolarians and other microscopic objects for Optical Microscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM);
Test plates for Optical Microscopy;
Diatom Shop (Diatom Lab) serves universities, colleges, research centres and microscope companies from all the world, in addition to private customers of course
Diatom Lab is born to show the beauty, importance and power of microscopic nature to amaterus and scientists during an era of many superficial values. Diatom Shop's products require much accuracy, precision and time during (and before) their realization: although Diatom Lab works with the latest techniques, mountants and research microscopes, it doesn't differ much from a Nineteenth-
Diatom Shop offers TOP QUALITY PRODUCTS and TOP QUALITY SERVICE, to sum up:
1) Diatom Shop's microscope slides are made to LAST IN TIME and are produced using the PROFESSIONAL, MODERN, UNPUBLISHED, LATEST & UNIQUE DIATOM LAB'S TECHNIQUES AND FORMULAS!
2) Diatom Shop's Diatoms and Radiolarians can be observed and admired EVEN WITH A MODEST MICROSCOPE (contrast enhancement techniques such as phase contrast, darkfield illumination and differential interference contrast are not necessary!) thanks to Diatom Lab's high refractive index mountants used to mount them!
3) Diatom Lab always uses HIGH REFRACTIVE INDEX MOUNTANTS, such as Diatom³ (Diatom Cubed) that has a refractive index greater than 1.7. All mountants are MICROFILTERED and have an EXCELLENT CHEMICAL STABILITY!
But Diatom Lab offers also microscope slides with micro-
4) Diatom Lab's self-
5) In order to give you the BEST CONDITIONS FOR RESOLUTION AND CONTRAST, Diatom frustules are attached / fixed to the UNDERSIDE of the COVER GLASS (and not classically on the microscope slide), although this procedure requires special manufacturing precautions! Furthermore, mounting to the underside of the cover glass permits to easily use oil immersion objectives too (even those with very short free working distance: 63x/1,4 or 100x/1,4) as there is no space between diatoms and cover glass!
6) Diatom Lab's special techniques and mountant ensure that diatoms and radiolarians WILL NEVER CHANGE THEIR ORIGINAL POSITION (for example, during shipping or storage): in a few words you will never see "floating" diatoms and radiolarians!
7) The customized cover glasses (coverslips) with HIGH OPTICAL QUALITY have been manufactured in Germany specifically for Diatom Lab. They have the following characteristics: highly transparent and achromatic (free of any color distortion); high optical omogeneity (pratically free of inclusions, bubbles, streaks, etc.); high spectral transmission; good planarity; very good chemical stability; refraction index adjusted for microscopes!
8) Diatom Shop's microscope slides are prepared taking into account the coverslip thickness suitable for each preparation!
9) Diatom Shop's ringing cements are resistant to the most common immersion oils used in optical microscopy!
10) Diatom Shop offers PERFECTLY CLEANED Diatoms, Radiolarians and other microscopic objects that are micro-
11) Diatom Shop always offers many RARE and UNUSUAL species!
12) Before payment you will always receive an email with attached the photographs and photomicrographs of the products you've ordered: WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET!
13) Diatom Lab (Diatom Shop) works with honesty, accuracy and transparency: you'll always receive a paper INVOICE (if you are a business company) or a paper TAX RECEIPT (if you are a private customer) with every purchase!
14) All parcels are FULLY TRACKED, so that you can check the progress of your items through to delivery. Diatom Lab (Diatom Shop) safely ships WORLDWIDE using microscope mailer cases, bubble wrap and paddled packages: customers of Diatom Lab (Diatom Shop) live in USA, Europe, Asia, Oceania and Africa!
15) Payments are possible using PayPal (no PayPal account needed, just a credit card!) or bank transfer!
16) Diatom Shop sells its special products online (by email order) or more rarely through the business eBay page http://www.ebay.com/usr/diatomshop (the eBay account name is diatomshop and starting prices are often symbolic as most bids happen in the final minutes or seconds of each auction!). Please read the 100% POSITIVE eBay FEEDBACKS at the following link: eBay feedbacks
The company receives a lot of emails and letters of appreciation by direct customers too!
The short microscope videos you find in this website are in reduced quality of course, but Diatom Lab produces Full HD videos and full-
Feel free to contact Diatom Shop with questions, comments or commissions regarding these products.
Happy microscope observations by Diatom Lab!
"The revelations of the Microscope are perhaps not excelled in importance by those of the telescope. While exciting our curiosity, our wonder and admiration, they have proved of infinite service in advancing our knowledge of things around us" (Joseph Leidy)